Junior Site Reliability Engineer
Who is EROAD?
EROAD modernises road charging and compliance for road transport by replacing paper-based systems with easy-to-use electronic systems. EROAD introduced the world’s first nationwide electronic road user charging system in New Zealand in 2009. The company is headquartered in Auckland, with offices in Portland, Oregon and is listed on the New Zealand Exchange (NZX).
You will be part of the team responsible for maintaining and improving the operational stability of EROAD’s global SaaS tolling solutions to meet or exceed established levels. Participate in troubleshooting and resolving issues as they arise and develop monitoring and alerting tools to prevent them recurring. Engage with both internal engineering teams and external third-parties as required to resolve and prevent issues.
You will enjoy working in a small team of positive, supportive, like minded pro-active people within a self-managed agile environment.
The responsibilities of the role includes:
- Ensure EROAD’s multiple systems are operating at peak efficiency, performance and up time.
- Assist in providing root cause analysis of complex faults in a large distributed system, and work with multiple teams to see the issue through to resolution.
- Use best of breed tooling to support you in ensuring operational stability and to minimise customer disruption.
- Assist in creating metric collection and visualisation tools to allow you to assist in capacity-planning and trouble-shooting, and take pre-emptive actions in support of overall system stability.
- Contribute to monthly reporting on platform cost, capacity, incidents and performance.
- Work with team to carry out deployments of new releases of EROAD’s SaaS applications to production and other environments with minimal to no impact on customers, and refine and enhance the tools to achieve this.
- Identify and automate tasks wherever possible to maintain or increase our high server to engineer ratio moving forwards.
- Participate in on-call roster to ensure 99.95% uptime exceeded.
- Conduct performance and reliability tests to establish limits, bottlenecks or single points of failure and resolve them.
- Regularly be called on to work flexible hours to complete tasks that would otherwise disrupt great customer experience.
- Keep up to date with the cutting edge of modern web operations, and continually strive to push the EROAD operations practice forward.
- Provided day to day support to the engineering team across production and testing environments.
- Strive for best-costs across EROAD’s virtual infrastructure.
- Participate in an Agile team and take shared responsibility for analysing work to be carried out, estimating effort required and identifying risks associated with carrying out the work.
- Strive to understand the behavior of EROAD systems in their entirety, from development processes, to manufacturing, to the day-to-day operation of the application
What are we looking for?
- Proven, self-motivated ability to continually renew and expand your knowledge, and a keen desire to keep abreast of new tools and technologies.
- Experience of Linux based operating systems (Ubuntu preferred).
- Experience with, or a keen desire to learn about, AWS cloud platform.
- Keen interest in, or experience with, operating and managing complex systems in customer-facing production web environments. Operation and architecture of multi-tier distributed systems involving real-time event processing.
- Practical knowledge of scripting languages (ruby, bash, python, etc.) and the ability and willingness to learn new languages as required.
- Exposure to monitoring, alerting and visualisation tools (Sensu, Graphite, Grafana, etc.)
- The ability to help identify the right tool for the job and to identify opportunities to make your life easier through automation. Understanding of automated provisioning. Knowledge of tooling such as Chef, Ansible and Puppet advantageous.
- Experience building or using containerisation and PaaS products advantageous.
- Understanding of relational database systems and their operation (PostgreSQL preferred). Experience with caching, in-memory databases and NOSQL, a bonus.Passion for the web operations industry. We're doing exciting things and want to work with people who share our passion and vision
Why work at EROAD?
This is an excellent opportunity to take on a pivotal role in one of New Zealand’s fastest growing high-tech companies. EROAD offers a competitive salary and benefits, excellent career development opportunities, and a fun, fast-paced work environment.
We ensure you have the tools, technology and training to do your best work, and offer flexible work hours to help ensure a healthy work/life balance.
But don’t take our word for it – see what other EROADers have to say about working here.
Want to know more? Apply now or download the job description.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!