Site Reliability Engineer
EROAD’s focus is on making our roads safer and more sustainable, through offering easy-to-use, accurate and reliable technology solutions to answer complex transportation problems. Since 2000, EROAD has pioneered innovative commercial and regulatory services for motor carriers in New Zealand, Australia, and the USA. Road transport operators can manage fleets and vehicles, and meet regulatory compliance commitments on a single platform that meets the highest standards of security and accuracy. These regulatory telematic services benefit both our customers by improving return on investment, and communities and the wider public through safer driving practices and valuable data analytics across the road network to help improve the planning, maintenance and management of our roads.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you will be part of the team responsible for maintaining and improving the operational stability of EROAD’s global SaaS tolling solutions to meet or exceed established levels. You will participate in troubleshooting and resolving issues as they arise and develop monitoring and alerting tools to prevent them recurring. You will also engage with both internal engineering teams and external third-parties as required to resolve and prevent issues. You will enjoy working in a small team of positive, supportive, likeminded pro-active people within a self-managed agile environment.
The Responsibilities of the role include:
- Ensure EROAD’s multiple systems are operating at peak efficiency, performance and uptime.
- Provide root cause analysis of complex faults in a large distributed system, and work with multiple teams to see the issue through to resolution.
- Use best of breed tooling to support you in ensuring operational stability and to minimise customer disruption.
- Develop metric collection and visualisation tools to allow you to perform capacity-planning, trouble-shooting and take pre-emptive actions in support of overall system stability.
- Carry out deployments of new releases of EROAD’s SaaS applications to production and other environments with minimal to no impact on customers, and refine and enhance the tools to achieve this.
- Identify and automate tasks wherever possible to maintain or increase our high server to engineer ratio moving forwards.
- Conduct performance and reliability test to establish limits, bottlenecks or single points of failure and resolve them.
- Regularly be called on to work flexible hours to complete tasks that would otherwise disrupt great customer experience.
- Keep up to date with the cutting edge of modern web operations, and continually strive to push the EROAD operations practice forward.
- Provided day to day support to the engineering team across production and testing environments.
What we are looking for:
- Experience with operating and managing complex systems in customer-facing production web environments. Operation and architecture of multi-tier distributed systems involving real-time event processing.
- Experience and knowledge of scripting languages (bash, ruby, python, etc.) and the ability to learn new languages as required.
- Experience with monitoring, alerting and visualisation tools (Sensu, Graphite, Grafana, etc.)
- Experience with IaaS cloud platforms such as AWS.
- Understanding of, and experience with, automation tooling such as Chef, Ansible and Puppet. The knowledge to identify the right tool for the job and the insight to identify opportunities to make your life easier through automation.
- Experience building or using containerisation and PaaS products advantageous.
- Experience operating Linux based systems (Ubuntu preferred).
- Understanding of relational database systems and their operation (PostgreSQL preferred). Experience with caching, in-memory databases and NOSQL.
- Passion for the web operations industry, we are doing exciting things and want to work with people who share our passion and vision.
Why work at EROAD?
This is an excellent opportunity to join one of New Zealand’s fastest growing high-tech companies. EROAD offers a competitive salary and benefits, excellent career development opportunities, and a fun, fast-paced work environment.
We ensure you have the tools, technology and training to do your best work, and offer flexible work hours to help ensure a healthy work/life balance.